Crickhowell RFC | 1st Team 73 - 14 Malpas RFC | 1st Team
Thomas Keane
Conversion 9
Try 1
Harry Summers
Try 4
Matthew Botting
Try 1
Lewis Logan
Try 1
Nicholas Dixon
Try 1
Aaron Horne
Try 1
Rhodri Boggust
Try 2

Match Report
29 September 2019 / Team News

Another Barnstormer

Crickhowell RFC 73 Malpas RFC 14

While plucky Malpas RFC had the bookends of the game, scoring both the first and last tries, it was Crickhowell who filled the shelf with another barnstorming display of open running rugby coupled with a stout defence and dogged work by the forwards. For the second game in a row they ran in eleven tries with outside-half Tom Keane converting nine of them.

    From the whistle Malpas worked their way upfield and their powerful forwards secured them the first try.Crickhowell struck back soon afterwards but the try was disallowed for players crossing in the build up. Their first try was a length-of the-field effort, started by Rhodri Boggust who gained a significant amount of ground before linking up with scrum-half Richard Rhydderch-Roberts who then gave the inside pass to full-back Harry Summers who crossed the line for the first of his four tries on the day.

Second-row Lewis Logan secured the second  after a line-out ball was passed along the width of the pitch in the Malpas 22 with Logan scoring in the corner.

Crick’s third came about after Keanu Morris broke through and passed to Keane who went over in the same corner as Logan.

Adam Sanchez’s break through the middle was the catalyst for the fourth with winger Rhodri Boggust touching down.

Shortly before the break it was Nick Dixon who made the break and went all the way unnopposed to the touchline leaving the score at 31-7.

    At the resumption of play, despite their best efforts, Malpas were unable to contain the speedy Crickhowell backs as they ran in a further six tries in the second half.

The first came from Summers utilising his speed and flair whilst centre Matt Botting gained the second with a typical darting run. Hard-working prop Sion Windebank brke free with the ball and gained good ground before sending Boggust free for his second try.

    A brace of tries from Summers followed. His third when he backed himself with an overhead chip, outstripped his opponent and gathered his own kick to score under the posts. His fourth was achieved in a similar fashion. Naturally, it was the work of the forwards in securing the ball in the first place that led to many of the tries and industrious Aaron Horne, at hooker, was rewarded for his efforts by scoring Crick’s final try. It was left to Malpas to achieve the final score when their forwards managed to find a gap in the defence and slip through for a deserved consolation try.

    The club would like to thank Richard Reardon-Smith for sponsoring the game and Ed Jehu of Jehu’s Store for sponsoring the ball. 

    Crick currently remain at the top of league 3 East C but have both Bettws and West Mon snapping at their heels. With the versus Hollybush on 5th. October being postponed, the next challenge for the team will be at Parc Broyd on 19th October for a top-of-the-table clash with Bettws RFC


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos